Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Wisdom of Dr. Haim Ginott

In refreshing contrast to these examples of how not to teach children, consider these words of wisdom from the late Dr. Haim Ginott (1922-1973):
"Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression."
"I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized."

Somehow, I think that he'd know how to deal with a 3rd grade boy who claims that he wants to be a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment